The Battle

 

He asked a question that seemed simple and innocent enough. I pondered on it a little and quickly had three memories float to the surface. They were sweet memories really, yet they packed a punch when I started down that trail. He told me he was writing a paper about his brother for school. I could not foresee that his processing and gaining of information would stir in me some of the battle that has waged on and off for so long.

I was asked, many years ago now, if I would write about guilt. I didn’t do it, I couldn’t. How could I write about something that I was still battling, though even at that time quite a number of years had already passed? What could I possibly have to offer by way of encouragement? Here I am, eighteen years after Micah’s birth, nearly eighteen from his passing, and the battle still wages at times. Thinking through the questions for this paper, was an unexpected launching of the war against guilt once again.

People have wondered over the years whether Todd and I blamed each other for what happened to Micah that night. Blaming each other has never, not even for a moment, been a struggle for us. However, I have waged war against personal guilt for almost two decades now.

I think every parent who loses a child can battle guilt.  When you are involved in the actions that led to his death, there is plenty of room for those thoughts to take root. However, I think many people battle guilt in life for numerous reasons.  I’m going to get incredibly honest with you.  For the last eighteen years on his birthday and on the 4th of July (sometimes on other occasions like when I am speaking at an event), the same lies make their way to the surface. “Why were you always so busy? Why didn’t you hold him more and spend more time with him? What were you thinking that night? What kind of mom does what you did? How could you be so irresponsible and careless?”

“You are a terrible mom.”

Those words, even all these years later, can threaten to undo me. I am finally writing them and addressing guilt because I know there are others battling lies they never tell people about, feeling the thousand pound weight of guilt on their backs trying to crush them. Those words do not crush me though, nor does the guilt you battle have to crush you.

They don’t crush me because I know in whom I have believed (2 Tim 1:12).  I know He is a God of no condemnation; that guilt is never from God (Romans 8:1).  I know I serve a perfect God, and that I am not perfect (Psalm 18:30).  To make a mistake is to be human and a reminder of our need for God.  I know that our days are numbered, only God knows the number, and He makes no mistakes (Job 14:5, Psalm 139:16).  I know I am a beloved daughter of the King not because I am so great, but because I have been created in the image of God and have been made righteous by His Son (1 John 3:1, Gen 1:27).   I have learned to take my thoughts captive when they start down the road of lies instead of letting it all spiral out of control (2 Corinthians 10:5).  I’ve learned next to identify the lies.  I’ve then practiced tearing them down and replacing them with these truths as many times as I need to until I believe them again (2 Corinthians 10:3-5). I’ve also learned to let others in. Sometimes we need more than just our own voice speaking against the lies and telling us truth (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12).

 It’s amazing how much quieter guilt gets and how much louder truth is when another is speaking truth into us.

When guilt threatens to make us crazy, to crush our spirits, to make us hide, to throw us into insecurity, or to cause us to be lost in despair, we have to preach the truth to ourselves and allow others to do so as well. Those lies must be thrown out every time, and we rebuild the walls of our mind with the truth of God’s Word.

Guilt crushes with its weight, truth lifts with its freedom.

I know my other kids will come with questions in the years to come. Maybe they will write papers about their brother too. I know I face a birthday and an anniversary of death every year.  I know I’ll speak at more events and share the story with more people, and all of those things have the potential to start the war again. That’s just it though, it is a war because I WILL battle back every time. I know how to battle and over the years, the battle has gotten easier. Also, I never for a moment battle alone. I have the Holy Spirit reminding me of all I’ve been taught (John 14:26).  I also have this truth upon which to firmly plant my feet:

“But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us. We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies. For we who live are always being given over to death for Jesus' sake, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our mortal flesh.”

2 Corinthians 4:7-11

It may be a battle, but I am never crushed. I know the Victor, and His name is Jesus.

Comments

Joy Summers said…
Your authenticity and vulnerability are a beautiful reflection of your ability to believe God's truth, even when the lies are easier to believe. Thank you for sharing your heart and I pray it sheds light on the path to hope for others!
Becky Longie said…
Oh my dear friend, how I love you- and your honesty! As you work to process all that comes to you, still you are always thinking of others as you share in hopes of helping help others. You have an amazing heart!! I have to tell you that this piece you shared is so incredibly timely!! We just started the Bible Study, Truthfilled, which talks about this exact thing. All the lies we tell ourselves and the need to fill our minds and hearts with the TRUTH….God’s Word. I continue to keep you in my prayers and hold you in my heart. Love you, dear friend❤️
Nicole Fraunfelter said…
♥️ Thank you for sharing your heart! Jesus is our HOPE Ana’s PEACE! I have to tell myself that daily!
Tiffany Wheeler said…
Your honesty and love show so strong. Your words of strength come right from the Bible;God’s truth and strength. Keeping your feet planted there is so amazing and encouraging to me and many others. Thank you for sharing and being an amazing light for others.
Pam Jacksen said…
Beautifully RAW and honest. Right where God wants us. Satan speaks in lies and whispers. Jesus comes in with a voice of thunder! I love you and your family.
“SWEET Tea Guy” said…
Kim, started reading thinking that I would not finish this bec. I still have
Many things to get done in next couple hours. Before I realized it, I was done.
Had tears pouring down my cheeks. Thanks so much for your honesty & super transparency!
Just in writing all this, I m sure the Lord has allowed you to even come to a new level of healing
regarding Micah. I guess we/ I so often look at strong Christian families (like you guys certainly have) as
“ perfect”— perfect marriage; perfect kids; perfect ministry; perfect & healthy eating habits( never ever drinking
“ Sweet tea”) 😂😂😂.....( even though we know it’s not true). But you have made it very clear
that this is so very far from the truth. I will def. ask Sarah to read this as soon as she can bec. I m
pretty sure she has struggled with some of the same things you mentioned that you struggled w. in the
Loss of Micah that she has with the loss of our twins & other miscarriages. Thanks again for sharing this.
I m sure this will be a great blessing to many others in years to come as it has been to me today— very timely
I assure you. Praying much for you & Todd as you continue to fight this “ battle” & esp. praying on July 4 & Mar. 1 as always!! We love & appreciate you guys ( “y’all )!!Praying too for miraculous healing from these treatments!!

Popular Posts